Audio exploration

My first attempt at creating an audio to accompany my installation was for the internal exhibition. This was a first attempt I created at Angel Meadow. I recorded on site using a Tascam recorder. It was suggested by one of my tutors and although it is out of my comfort zone I am willing to try. One of the many things I have learned during my studies is to try thing out - you are often surprised.

Recording onsite was good in many way, feedback from crits said it added to the atmosphere of the work. The Tascam recorder picked up so much noise (it was a very windy day) so I ended up using my iphone. It was just a rough draft, my first attempt.

Angel Meadow, Manchester burial ground of 40,000 bodies


Since then I have travelled to Manchester to record the piece again. This time with one of my sisters so I could sound like I was talking to someone. This also kept my accent in tact, avoiding the BBC/phone voice I adopt to be understood sometimes. I had written a spoken word piece too which I recorded in Manchester, all with the Tascam and less wind.

While I was recording this I took the opportunity to interview my sister for the film I am making about a fateful trip to Southport from the Working Mens Club in Gorton, Manchester. She was 10 at the time and I was only 5 so her memory is clearer and I was interested in how our versions are similar but different.

All of these recordings are not stored but the question was what to do with them. Add music, sounds, etc, or keep it clear. I researched many artists and my tutor Galia recommended an audio artists called Roy Claire Potter. They are based up north, recording in their authentic accent and created these sound scapes which took you to a different place. I felt quite moved after feeling quite lost with the audio concept when I heard their work. For the first time I felt the need to let the artist know. Surprising they replied to me and offered to help. We did a zoom call which was a great insight on how to create good audio. As well as being an artists they teach at Liverpool University so their insight was really helpful. I discovered Audition software, tips on how to clean up audio and importantly the idea that my work is on collage. I have not considered this before but when I look at my work it does use the process of collage. From assemblages which are put together from found and made items, layered audio with sound, music and voice, films which use found footage and personal photographs to layered Letterpress prints.

I have taken the idea of the process forward into my project proposal plus the idea of my work representing WORK: Working class women's unheard narrative of work, paid and unpaid. More of that in the next blog. 

The deadlines are closing in and I need to be ruthless and edit what is really important. I feel a need to show all the work I have done throughout the year but I know I only need to show my strongest work. The next few weeks will be quite a challenge with hopefully a good outcome.

Location of recorded audio overlooking the burial ground in Angel Meadow.


Comments

Popular Posts