Dry point printing

 Finally I managed to get access to a printing session with David Price. The printing session I missed in L4 due to Covid lockdown! This was the chance to learn a new skill and see if this was one of the areas of print I want to continue after I graduate.

The process is quite long winded and you really need to concentrate on what you are doing next. Through a combination of being distracted (family bereavement and final show stress) my head was not in the game and I seem to make lots of mistakes. Or rather miss parts of the process out! This was fine in the end it just took longer to perfect but I feel I really learned the process (the hard way!), learning from my mistakes.

Working initially with a illustration for my final Angel Meadow project, tangible timeline on a long shelf. This image was to illustrate the Lowery steps and the figure of Lowery stood on the steps.I felt it wasn't going well and I decide there was too much pressure to create a final show artwork on my first attempt. I decided to do an image I felt comfortable creating, one which was quick enough to allow me to finish a print in one day.

I was aware I was 'polishing my apples' (quote from tutor David Price in L4), meaning don't just do what you can already do at art school. For me this is botanical illustration. However, in this instance it was a nice comfortable illustration I could try the process out with. I drew lords and ladies, nettles and ferns in a woodland glade. Inspired by the Ladybird book 'What to Look for in Autumn' which is illustrated by naturalist painter Charles Tunicliffe (1901 - 1979).

The final print came out well and I now feel more confident with creating something for my final show. I also met the new print technician Jasmin and discussed access for the new few weeks.


After preparing the metal plate with de-greaser, then hard wax, 
drying on a hotplate I scratched the image into the plate.


This is the plate in the acid - it had to be repaired because 
I cleaned off the image before I had been in the acid bath!


The printing press, the plate and damp paper are 
underneath the blankets on the press.


Final outcome, the process holds the details well.



I tried dots and cross hatching to create the shading because this was a trial run
I could be experimental with the line work.



Comments

Popular Posts