Letterpress process

Friday letterpress sessions are hard to come by and I jump at the chance to attend. I find I get in the zone when I get started, the smell of the ink, the slow methodical process and the craft involved, means I enjoy creating and the satisfaction of making something tangible.

I planned to push my Dinner Ticket project further. I had already printed A3 versions on the green paper which matched the original tickets. I felt they didn't have the impact I wanted to create on the subject so I decided to revisit the work.

Trying various layouts was part of the process. I had seen the Rana Begum exhibition at the Pitzhanger gallery in Ealing. Her concrete casts which were repeated in colour were an inspiration for me. I felt the layout and colours added impact. Her material was interesting too which I wasn't sure I would get this feeling from letterpress printing. I had the sugar papers from the pack I bought to get the green and I started printing to see what effects I could create.


Rana Begum work at the Pitzhanger Gallery, Ealing.

Detail of concrete cast made using paper.

Layout variations using a print test cut up.

Further variations on landscape.




The process of trying landscape and portrait format worked well. Cutting up a printed sheet after trying portrait to see how landscape would work. I used the A4 sheets to create 5 prints. I am working with the number 5 because we always received 5 free dinner tickets on a Monday. I was also at high school receiving these tickets for 5 years. I numbered the tickets with the dates I attended high school in the UK (1984 - 1988). This involves changing the number each time you print, it takes concentration to ensure you don't miss the numbering!

Printing on the letterpress proofing machine.

Final prints in 5 colours. 

Final 3 colours colours, I plan to frame and display as a series
I feel this will give the prints more impact.


I am hoping to add the social statement to this artwork as it high lights the free meal system in the 1980s which is different now but needed more than ever in the current climate.



Comments

Popular Posts