Letterpress - No 'T' poster

 I had time left in my letterpress session and I decided to create a new poster. I wanted to stay with the theme of Gorton. My hometown. Important in my work and my narrative - maybe means nothing to others but its an important area of interest which needs giving a voice.

I had a funny comment said to me in Australia by a fellow Mancunian. He asked where I was from and when I said Gorton (without dropping my Ts) this was his reply. It has stayed with me and makes me laugh, enough reason to create an artwork I think. 

The letterpress process is long and concentration is needed but I find my flow when I am in letterpress printing. Each letter will need building up with bespoke paper shapes, various amounts for each letter. Some letters are so damaged over time that they need to be replace. There is also the matter of kerning, adding spaces between letters which visually look too close together. Design variations are tried, colour variations - all part of the process. Plus inking up the plates and physically rolling the press. Worth the effort when you can create artworks like this in multiples, each one unique.


Final poster drying on the rack - 5 editions printed.


First attempt - letters need building up with paper layers under each letter.

Improvement with notes on how to build letters up further.

Almost there!

Trying the T in orange ink for a colour pop. 


Comments

Popular Posts