Developing and expanding Angel Meadow

So I have feedback that Angel Meadow needs to be bolder, less quiet and polite. It needs more space and not be so attached to the wall. The original shelf idea is not working so I need to develop this artwork. It would be good to be able to walk around the items, rather than a quick scan along a new shiny shelf. I needed to test this out and the only place to do this was at home. My sourced items are there and I only want to transport them to uni if they are needed there. 

I live in London so space is tight! I used the kitchen to test the pieces together, not all were available in one room and there is of course other furniture in there. It may be hard to tell from the pictures but it was easier in person. 

I also wanted to try different threads - red v black. I also had feedback about changing the thread aspect. I need to stand my ground with this. Thread is the link with the cotton mills of Manchester. The reason the tragedy of  Angel Meadow happened. It is essential part of the narrative and also features in my work as a working class women, descendent of the the mill workers.

It is still work in progress and I do worry that it is leaving my control and becoming a diluted version due to listening to too much feedback. I will wrestle with this idea longer and ensure it remains my work (until it goes on display!) then of course it is no longer mine.

The audio still needs to be worked on. I plan to go to Manchester and Angel Meadow again at Easter. I plan to take someone, maybe my sister at the site and talk about the history. I have been advised talking to someone improves the audio - less BBC, less awkward and easier to keep recording without wanting to rush off.


Black thread used to link objects in the timeline.

Not the actual items I will use, not the correct fabric but used to test an idea.

New 'found' cupboard used to house found items to represent 
finds at Angel Meadow (glass and ceramics)

Red thread option - again some of these items are just to test the idea.



Red thread around cupboard - I may paint this cupboard, 
too worn and distressed maybe?


Comments

Popular Posts