Despair - Group work - Research

In my previous post I was working with a group on the Charing Cross Hospital project. We planned this to be our collab work project but because the project was put on hold (due to Covid) we decided to present another work together.

Taking on the absolute opposite of our theme 'Hope' we decided to make a work about 'Despair'. We were all working remotely due to the 2nd lockdown, so through online meetings and emails we decided we would each create a film and piece this work together. Frankie started by making her film first, she posted this on our group chat and the next person responded and made their film. 

My film used a poem I wrote in about grief. It's grim and messy, not edited or polished. I felt I could not narrate this poem without getting upset so I decided to type it typewriter style over footage, which I took of winter trees blowing on the breeze. It was late afternoon in January so the light had a blue cast. I had some audio I had recorded in L4 at Whitechapel church which involved a woman (who worked there) singing a hymn to me. At the end of the singing there is a clanking of the heavy door chain which sounded like the gates of heaven or hell.

Still from the start of the 'Despair' film



Film 'Despair' (2021)


Comments

Popular Posts