Linocut - down the dream tunnel - Development

Development:

The linocut I created didn't seem to stand alone as a strong image. I felt it needed more. One of the uni projects was to upload an artwork for another student to respond to with their own work of art (Artists Response project). This led me to creating a dream like image of a tunnel into the house. I imaged how my mind works during sleep and transports me to the house I dream I am in.

The process was quite intuitive using blacks and greys with a little gold and red. I painted a swirling tunnel with the house in the centre. I had been inspired by a painting I saw by Hugh Dunford Wood called Hollow Way (2020), the painting created a holloway through trees and I liked the idea of tunnelling into my dream.


My version of the dream tunnel to the house:

Dreaming with M R James (2021)
420 x 594cm
Linoprint and acrylic on paper


Hollow Ways (2020) by Hugh Dunford Wood


I feel the painting adds and improves the linocut, giving it more depth and narrative. I'm not sure it is the kind of image I want to put up on my wall. I feel out of practice on the painting side which I plan on working on over the summer (I am attending a Royal Drawing School class). I still enjoy painting but I have neglected it while I discover and try new mediums available to me at university.

Comments

Popular Posts