Ceramic Workshop - Pottery Wheel - Development

 I have always wanted to try the pottery wheel. Due to the Covid-19 lockdown I missed my chance to go on the wheel. Although it was always pretty busy on them anyway. However, due to lockdown we only have 4 students in the ceramic workshop so I got the chance to throw some pots on the wheel.

It's obviously harder than it looks! I was using a gritty clay which is not ideal but was all that was available on the day. I watched Harvey the technician then followed his guidance and threw 3 pots which I decided to call 1, 2 and 3. Now, as you will see below they are far from perfect but my theory is; if I improve each time I throw then these pots will become rare species of wobbly pots. I like their shape and their twisted curves, so I cleaned them up, dried and fired the pots ready for decoration.


Pots 1, 2 and 3 (2021)


I wonder if these 3 pots could be part of my scoliosis project which I did in L4. I feel they are a reflection of how my body works with my curve and the shapes represent how they are still beautiful, although they are not straight and conventionally 'perfect'.




The following week I tried my hand again on the potters wheel. This time with shorter nails and a smoother clay. I tried a larger ball of clay to create the bowl which I found quite hard to manage on the wheel. It starts off well and then I seem to loose control of it at the last minute. I need more practice. One thing I have noticed is my pots start off centred but move over to one side. I worked out that due to my scoliosis (curve in my spine) I have one side of my body which is stronger and more dominant. This was creating a leaning pot. After discussing with Harvey I realised I need to engage my core body strength, relax my shoulders and weigh down my elbows to give an even outcome.




Large bowl (2021)


Although I have a lot of practice to do and I can't imagine ever making a perfect bowl, I love the process and I will try and practice as much as possible. I can see how you learn with each bowl you make which drives me to keep throwing.





Comments

Popular Posts